Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Learning Experience 3

            One of my favorite projects during the year was the presentation we had to do on humor in different countries. I not only enjoyed researching my own assigned country, the Czech Republic, but also listening to different presentations. The fact that humor differs so vastly between countries surprised me. I have become so accustomed to American humor that, I forget different kinds of humor exist. I love to travel because it forces me to remember that the world is a huge place with an infinite amount of perspectives. When our groups came up with different countries for the presentations, I knew right away that I wanted to do mine on the Czech Republic because I had traveled to Prague during the summer. I have been fortunate to travel to many places and to experience all sorts of cultures, but the humor in the Czech Republic differed by far the most from American humor. Before the week spent in Prague, we were in Budapest which is ranked as one of the friendliest cities in the world. In fact, most of the Eastern European countries had extremely friendly cultures, so I had expected the same from Prague. I was dead wrong. Almost immediately after stepping off the train, our tour guide warned us that if someone offended us not to take it personally because Czech people are known for being rude and upfront. Her heeding proved to be correct as the first Czech person I greeted and smiled at gave me a funny look and totally blew me off.

            Throughout the week there, however, I began to learn why the people of the Czech Republic have such frank attitudes and I began to grow an immense appreciation for the culture. When someone mentions the Czech Republic in America, most people think of a small country in Eastern Europe that does not offer much. I can assume this, because I thought the exact same thing before my trip. I now like to think of Prague as the hidden gem of Europe, but in reality it is a country that has been controlled, bullied, and put through the wringer. Intersected in both World Wars, the people of the Czech have been controlled by both Nazi and Communist regimes. These long periods of despair have left the Czech people with distrusting and pessimistic attitudes. From these attitudes, however, emerged a nation of sarcasm. The Czech people have used their humor as a defense mechanism against disappointment. Hanka, our tour guide, told us that the people do not engage in small talk or smile back because even those gestures push them to expect too much out of the world and others. Upon first glance, many people may think the hard shell of the Czech people is a depressing result of a violent history, but I grew to believe that they their pessimistic attitudes has allowed them a more realistic view of the world. Many of the people there have embraced a unique sense of individualism because they can truly only rely on themselves. This can be seen in their distaste for any form of government, the John Lennon wall used for the freedom of expression, and many of David Cerny’s sarcastic statues. The John Lennon wall is much more than a spot to take Instagram phots. It is a place where the people of Prague regained their freedom of expression. They spray painted hidden messages during times of oppression and today it is used as a place for people to come spray paint whatever they feel like. The Czech people are not afraid to say exactly what is on their mind which is why a lot of their humor has offended many cultures. However, their sarcastic humor has also protected them during times of despair. Being cynical about everything and keeping expectations low is not the Czechs being negative, but instead preventing disappointment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment