Thursday, December 10, 2015

A time when I observed hateful injustice or prejudice...

            In high school, most of our All Student Body (ASB) executive team was made up of guys. You would get the occasional female on the team, but that was usually because she was extremely popular. It frustrated because a lot of my qualified female friends who had such big and great plans for the school would run, but would never be voted in. Most of them knew by running that they would not win because my class would only elect the funniest speech and everyone in my class believed that girls just simply are not funny. First of all, this whole process is ridiculous because we should not be voting in the funniest person, but we should be voting in the person who will put the most effort into their job. During my freshman year, we voted in Jason. Although I grew up with him and he is one of my good friends, his entire speech was on the downfalls of being Asian with “tiger parents.” Apparently, this kind of humor appealed to my predominately white class. I believe the Superiority Theory of humor was at work in this scenario. He had no plans for the future of our high school, but his self-deprecating humor landed him as the President of our entire high school. I wonder how he felt when he realized that he truly only got votes by making fun of his race, family, and heritage. Probably not too good. The fact that my class thought this was even remotely close to okay is beyond me. The second part of the ASB process that frustrated me was that all of the men in our class constantly commented on how females “just are not funny.” Excuse me! Amy Schumer, Amy Poehler, Sarah Siverman, Ellen DeGeneres, Mindy Kaling, Melissa McCarthy, and Kristen Wiig just to name a few of the thousands of funny and brilliant women that have blessed this world. A group of people judged someone on not being funny before they even got to the podium. If they were a female, they were automatically not funny and no one listened to what they had to say. The saddest part of all of this is that even some of my girlfriends fell into this mindset and would discount a female classmate because she just was not funny. I honestly felt like I would have been a good candidate, but I was too scared to run because I knew that people would only judge be based on my gender and ability to make people laugh. When did humor become about gender and why do we have the perception that men are funnier than women?

            We should never have to tear-ourselves a part or be a certain type of person to get people to laugh and like us. Humor should be about inclusiveness. Humor should be about bringing a large group of people together to relate to something. Humor should never be used to segregate. As much as my high school taught me and prepared me, it was a community of segregation. Boys were “popular” based on if they could make people laugh and girls were “popular” based on their looks. Humor is unique to the individual and thus should not be used to determine the status of one person to another. Men are often portrayed to be the “jokesters” of the class, but when did we stop telling girls that they cannot be funny too? Women have always been told to be polite and indirectly this has come out as us not speaking our minds and being funny will offend others. I often laugh more at females anyways because they often use humor and do not offend anyone in the process. This is why I respect female comedians because they have penetrated a world where they are not theoretically meant to be funny. From now on, can we please just tell our daughters that they have every right and the ability to be just as funny as the boy sitting next to them in class? 

No comments:

Post a Comment